Friday, November 20, 2009

chrome OS

Finally i got to install chrome OS on my Mac using virtual Box. Well installing it is not my own intelligence though. I was using this techcrunch article. Well google has almost all the basic applications that are needed for daily use and most importantly run on a browser.
Coming to the actual OS, it opens up a browser and you are going to stay in here all your time. Its a little weird in the beginning as I am used to a whole bunch of windows in my task bar.
1) Firstly it authentication is done with ur google account.
2) It has the gmail and google calendar in 2 tabs that cannot be removed.
3) Oddly enough, I am able to open multiple windows of the browser but I cannot actually see the list of all the windows as a whole to toggle between. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but that is a required must.

I can say that on a whole it looks like working only on chrome browser on my windows machine. Nothing essentially great about it. But the actual idea of having an OS exclusively to browse the web is pretty good.

I am also not sure about how far this is going to be useful in the netbook world too, because as far as i have read, it has its own hardware requirements, which might mean that once i get a netbook with chrome OS i might not be able to change my operating system to something else if I am actually not interested in it. Well as it has been now released into the open source world and it has almost one year to go before it is released, i am positive that it will be made to something pretty awesome by then.

No comments: